At this time of year it is really important to:
- Keep your pumpkin plants watered. Pumpkins and squash require 1 inch of water from rainfall or irrigation each week.
- Keep an eye out for powdery mildew. Powdery mildew starts out as yellow spots on the leaves and turns to white or gray felt patches on the leaves. Apply fungicide when a single spot of powdery mildew is discovered. Follow the instructions on the package label.
- Check your plants for any insects. Either remove by hand or treat with an insecticide.
- Cultivate and remove weeds. The roots of vine plants are close to the surface, cultivate only deep enough to cut off weeds just below soil surface. Pull large weeds by hand.
- Fertilize with your favorite fertilizer, like Miracle Grow.